Residential Drug Rehab Clinics for Alcohol Rehabilitation
Which treatment programs are effective?
There is a lot of research on which program and its components are effective in alcohol rehabilitation.
Several methods can be effective:
- Enhance the motivation to reduce or stop;
- Use of certain medications;
- Ensuring that people are not suffering from withdrawal symptoms;
- To identify situations where it is difficult not to drink;
- Developing skills such as: saying no, being assertive with your free time;
- To involve your partner in the treatment;
- Knowing how to react if you fall after alcohol rehabilitation (relapse prevention).
It appears that in alcohol rehabilitation, the following interventions are effective:
1. Strengthen the motivation to change
Think about what are:
– Advantages and disadvantages of using alcohol
– Pros and cons of cutting down or quitting.
2. Treating the withdrawal symptoms during alcohol rehabilitation
The removal of withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and anxiety, can ease the process and help the addict in treatment.
3. The prescription of medication
There are three kinds of medication:
– Medication that removes the desire or craving for alcohol
– Medication that makes you sick if you do drink alcohol
– Medication that prohibits the withdrawal symptoms
Regular monitoring of this medication is essential for successful treatment.
4. Ascertaining situations where it is difficult not to drink
Knowing these situations and knowing how you react in these situations can help you and prevent the possibility of relapse.
5. Social skills training
Social skills such as: you can say no to a drink that is offered to you, assertiveness training and recreational training are important in treatment.
6. Involving the partner in alcohol rehabilitation
By involving your partner or loved ones in the treatment, communication is improved and the treatment may be of stronger success.
7. Relapse prevention
A good way to respond to relapse is to get help and start again on the road of recovery.